Volatile Nests appear in two locations. One being in the game mode Be The Zombie , with these nests found scattered along the terrain. They only appear during the nighttime, and players must fight against the player-controlled Night Hunter to destroy these nests, while the Night Hunter must protect them. They can appear in the Slums location, or in the Old town location.
These nests are the breeding grounds for Volatiles and are a focus for several side quests to destroy the Infected within. The number of volatiles and virals changes between day and night within the nests; during the day more infected are inside taking refuge from the sun whereas during the night more volatiles have left to 'hunt'.
The Night Hunter does not need to be present to find and destroy these nests.
Strategy (Day) Edit
- Use a high-damage weapon to reduce the number of hits needed to kill the infected
- Flares and UV Flashlight are a good option to combat the volatiles
- Luring the infected into water will cause them to instantly die
- Stealth is an option to reduce the number of infected that must be fought. Try using a Bow / Crossbow
- If possible, bring friends to help even the odds. Should one of you go down, you have a chance to revive them without losing any progress into the nest.
- Use the camouflage attack to not be attacked while in their presence.
Strategy (Night) Edit
- During the night the number of the infected present is very reduced, with volatiles being almost non-existent. This can make it easier to complete, but more virals appear to be within the Nest during the nighttime.
- Bring a powerful weapon to dispatch the nests as quickly as possible. Firearms are best-suited for this, with shotguns being the most effective in the close quarters of a nest.
Clear the nest as quickly as possible, as night only lasts for a few minutes. If you are still inside the nest when daytime comes around, many volatiles will come rushing into the nest from outside to escape the sunlight and will attempt to save the remaining hives.
- In the caves the Hives / Nests are found in, there can usually be found large slit-shaped holes in the rocks. No matter even if you destroy a Volatile spawn around that area, every now and again Volatiles will randomly leap out of these holes. This is a spawning method for the caves that nests are found in.
Easter Eggs Edit
In one of the caves you can find a skeleton with a hat, a whip, and stolen goods, possibly Indiana Jones